In the work of Léon de Caluwé change and change processes have been the leading subject. He worked as a change
consultant for almost thirty years. He consulted for hundreds of clients in all sectors, taught in dozens of
programmes and published about the subject.
The color theory of change became very popular as an overview of the prevailing thoughts about change.
He published a book with Hans Vermaak: “Learning to Change. A Guide for Organization Change Agents” in 2003 at Sage Publications. This book provides a comprehensive overview of organizational change theories and practices. The authors compare and contrast five fundamentally different ways of thinking about change: yellow print thinking, blue print thinking, red print thinking, green print thinking, and white print thinking. They also discuss in detail the steps that change agents take, such as diagnosis, change strategy, the intervention plan, and interventions. In addition, they explore the attributes of a successful change agent and provide advice for career and professional development. The book includes case studies that describe multiple approaches to organizational change issues.
In 2007 a new book is published by Jaap Boonstra and Léon de Caluwé: Intervening and Changing: looking for meaning through interactions. The book contains a variety of new and rather experimental interventions for change, like: narratives, learning history, future search, appreciative inquiry, open space etc. The book is published at Wiley in April 2007.
- Léon de Caluwé (2011): Intervening and interventions: an overview. In: Adams, S. and A. Zanzi (eds): Preparing better consultants: The role of Academia. Information Age Publishing
- Fritz Korten, Léon de Caluwé and Jac Geurts (2010): The Future of Organisation Development: A Delphi Study among Dutch experts. In: Journal of Change Management vol. 10, no. 4, p.393 - 405
- Jaap Boonstra en Léon de Caluwé (2007): Looking for meanings in interactions. Opening chapter in: Jaap Boonstra en Léon de Caluwé (2007): Intervening and Changing. Chichester: Wiley and Sons.
- Lidewey van der Sluis, Léon de Caluwé and Antoine van Nisterooij (2006): Linkages between individuele characteristics relating to change and learning. In: Develop. Vol 2, p. 24-31.
- Léon de Caluwé and Hans Vermaak (2004) : Change Paradigms: an overview. Organization Development Journal. Volume 22, number 4, winter 2004.
- Léon de Caluwé and Hans Vermaak (2004): Thinking about Change: Complexity and Multiplexity in Change Processes. In: Boonstra, J. (ed.) (2004): Dynamics of Organizational Change and Learning. Chichester: John Wiley and Sons.
- Léon de Caluwé, Hans Vermaak and Frans Que (2004): Comparing Psychotherapists and Change Agents Approaches to Change. In: Buono, A. (ed.) (2004): Creative Consulting: Innovative Perspectives on Management Consulting. Greenwich: Information Age Publishing Inc.
- Lidewey van der Sluis, Léon de Caluwé and Antonie van Nistelrooij (2006): Linkages between individual characteristics relating to change and learning. In: Develop, Vol. 2, Fall, p. 24-31.